MISSION STATEMENTCORE VALUES
- Team Work
STEC's mission is to provide the infrastructure and services to deliver reliable and economical electric power to a diversified membership.
STEC was formed in 1944 to provide wholesale electric services to member distribution cooperatives. STEC’s membership consists of the following distribution cooperatives.
STEC's headquarters facility is located at the Sam Rayburn Power Plant Complex on the Guadalupe River just outside Nursery, Texas. Transmission line and substation service facilities are also located in Pearsall, Texas and Donna, Texas.
Power provided by STEC to its members is generated from a variety of energy sources, including wind, lignite, natural gas (NG), diesel fuel, and hydroelectric.
Primary generation sources, totaling 1,865.3 MW of capacity, are:
Owned and Operated
- Sam Rayburn Power Plant (NG Combined Cycle, NG Simple Cycle Combustion Turbines, Diesel Reciprocating Engines) - Nursery, TX
- Pearsall Power Plant (NG Reciprocating Engines, NG Steam) - Pearsall, TX
- Red Gate Power Plant (NG Reciprocating Engines) - Edinburg, TX
Long-term Purchase Power Agreements
- San Miguel Power Plant/ San Miguel Electric Cooperative, Inc. (Lignite) - Christine, TX
- Magic Valley Generating Station/ Calpine (NG Combined Cycle) - Edinburg, TX
- Amistad Dam Power Plant/ WAPA/IBWC (Hydroelectric) - Del Rio, TX
- Falcon Dam Power Plant/ WAPA/IBWC (Hydroelectric) - Falcon, TX
- Peñascal Wind Power Project/ AVANGRID (Wind) - Sarita, TX
- Javelina II Wind Power Project/ NextEra Energy Resources (Wind) - Webb County, TX