South Texas Electric Cooperative, Inc. has an opening for a System Operator at the Nursery location. The System Operator monitors and operates electric transmission system and substation facilities as part of the team of personnel that forms the 24/7 operations center.
Qualified candidates will have:
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• 3 years’ experience in plant or system operations or 5 years’ experience in electric utility and electrical theory knowledge
• College level courses in power system technology may be substituted for years of experience
• Valid Texas Driver License
• Working knowledge of MS Office Programs and MS Dynamics
• NERC and ERCOT Certified within 1 year of hire
• May frequently be required to walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
• Occasionally required to stand.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
• Use of personal computing equipment, telephone, multi-functioning printer and calculator.
• Manual dexterity, ability to lift up to 25 pounds, ability to reach, bend, and use 2-step stool while safely lifting and lowering boxes.
• Ability to travel to and from business-related locations.
• Required to work after hours, weekends and holidays and respond timely to urgent or emergency situations.
Typical duties include:
• Responsible for receiving and carrying out directives from ERCOT.
• Responsible for complying with the NERC reliability standards.
• Submits outage schedules to ERCOT and coordinates necessary schedule modifications with other transmission service providers.
• Participates in ERCOT committees and working groups as directed by the Chief System Operator.
• Monitors the system voltage and loading and performs switching operations to maintain adequate voltage and takes preventative action to avoid damaging equipment overloads.
• Issues switching instructions and performs remote switching for prearranged outages.
• Isolates faulted and failed equipment and restores services to customer loads or system equipment through switching.
• Dispatches appropriate personnel to suspected trouble areas.
• Notifies key personnel of outages, abnormal conditions and ERCOT instructions that affect the system.
• Coordinates and submits all clearances requested on lines and facilities to maintain safe and reliable service for approval through ERCOT.
• Checks with operators of adjacent transmission systems and the ERCOT system operator concerning abnormal conditions of load, weather, switching, and clearances affecting the transmission system.
• Compiles and records all log system information, personnel, outage, switching, and information pertaining to the
• Monitors SCADA, telemetry, and communication systems.
• Issues maintenance requests and relays mis-operation report to appropriate departments.
• Reads, studies, and understands applicable ERCOT and NERC guides and regulations.
• Performs other duties, tasks and special projects as assigned.
The above description covers the principal duties and responsibilities of the job. The description shall not, however, be construed as a complete listing of all miscellaneous, incidental, or similar duties which may be required from day-to-day.
If you have any questions about the process, please contact STEC HR at (361) 485-6167.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/D/V