The Substation Technician performs programming, installation and maintenance of medium and high voltage solution equipment, as well as controls and protective devices.
Qualified candidates will have:
• High School Diploma
• Associate’s degree in Science in lieu of professional experience
• 3+ years of experience as an industrial technician in the electrical, petro-chemical or power industry
• Valid Texas Commercial Driver License or ability to obtain CDL within 120 days of employment
• Acceptable MVR and background check
• Lifts and carries up to 80 pounds and pulls, pushes or drags up to 100 pounds with or without assistance.
• Sits, stands, stoops or twists for extended periods of time.
• Works both indoors and outdoors in extreme temperatures including heat, cold, humidity, temperature swings and inclement weather, frequent exposure to dust, odor, electrical, mechanical, loud noise and toxic hazards.
• Operates hand tools, heavy equipment, light trucks, power tools, hoists and cranes.
• 20/20 corrected vision is required to perform visual inspection of small defects, small parts and operation of measurement devices and assembly of fabricated parts.
• Ability to travel to and from meetings or other business-related events.
• May be required to work after hours, weekends and holidays and respond timely to urgent or emergency situations.
• Ability to respond to call out requirements within 30 minutes.
Typical duties include:
• Proficiently uses hand and power tools, meters and other test equipment in energized substations to install, maintain and repair substation equipment.
• Applies, reads, understands and corrects schematic and wiring diagram blueprints.
• Programs and operates various test equipment.
• Installs and commissions medium and high voltage circuit breakers, power transformers, regulators, reclosers, interrupters, etc.
• Tests and maintains all medium and high voltage outdoor substation equipment.
• Troubleshoots and repairs medium and high voltage substation equipment.
• Prepares, terminates and tests medium voltage cables; tests and refurbishes high voltage dielectric oil.
• Installs, tests, and repairs microprocessor-based distribution breaker, recloser and regulator controls.
• Participates in emergency callout rotation.
• Practices safety procedures pertaining to all aspects of Technical Services work as outlined in the STEC safety handbook.
• Draws transformer oil samples and performs dissolved gas and dielectric tests.
• Provides project scheduling, resource coordination and technical guidance.
• Assists with advanced problem solving and troubleshooting while monitoring work processes and materials.
• Provides direction to substation technicians as assigned.
• Performs other duties, tasks and special projects as assigned.
The above description covers the principal duties and responsibilities of the job. The description shall not, however, be construed as a complete listing of all miscellaneous, incidental or similar duties which may be required from day-to-day.
Interested candidates should contact the Texas Workforce Commission to apply for this position.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/D/V