Substation Journeyman Lineman
We currently have a position open for a Substation Journeyman Lineman at the Nursery, Texas location. The Journeyman Lineman constructs, repairs, inspects, and maintains substation
facilities and transmission line, both energized and de-energized. Performs installation, maintenance and repair of switches including single and gang operated, transformers, steel structures,
hardware, regulators, breakers, instrument transformers and other substation equipment. Maintains a daily work log and assists in training apprentices and new hires.
Qualified candidates will have:
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Lineman Apprenticeship program diploma
• Completion of a 4 year Apprenticeship Program or acceptable experience
• Valid Texas Driver license
• Class A CDL – Must be obtained within 180 days
• Lifts and carries up to 50 pounds and pulls, pushes or drags up to 75 pounds with or without assistance.
• Sits, stands, stoops or twists for extended periods of time.
• Works both indoors and outdoors in extreme temperatures including heat, cold, humidity, temperature swings and
inclement weather, frequent exposure to dust, odor, electrical, hydraulic, mechanical, loud noise, and toxic hazards.
• Operates or drives hand tools, light trucks, power tools and other equipment.
• 20/20 corrected vision is required to perform visual inspection of small defects, small parts and operation of
measurement devices and assembly of fabricated parts.
• Ability to travel to and from business-related locations.
• May be required to work after hours, weekends and holidays and respond timely to urgent or emergency situations.
Typical duties include:
• Safely and efficiently operates and utilizes tools and machinery in the installation and removal of transmission line
materials and substation equipment.
• Performs work in an elevated position on wood, concrete, steel and lattice tower structures.
• Installs, repairs, and replaces underground and overhead electric distribution, service lines, transformers, meters,
metering equipment and related equipment.
• Performs switching, energized maintenance, repair and installation utilizing appropriate hot stick, glove, and barehand techniques for 2.4 kV through 345 kV rated facilities.
• Transports permitted loads needed for substation and transmission line maintenance, repairs, and construction.
• Ensures that coworkers and apprentice linemen are properly knowledgeable in all aspects of assigned work.
• Participates in tailgate, company and departmental safety meetings including impromptu site meetings with fellow
• Assists with the training of new hires.
• Performs mandatory Department of Transportation inspections and switching at the direction of System Operations.
• Participates in in call-out rotation.
• Performs other duties, tasks and special projects as assigned.
The above description covers the principal duties and responsibilities of the job. The description shall not, however, be construed as a complete listing of all miscellaneous, incidental, or similar duties which may be required from day-to-day.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/D/V