Programs, installs and maintains protective relaying, batteries, battery charges, stand by generators, air conditioners and other substation equipment. Performs electrical tests and repairs concerned with maintenance and performance evaluation of in-service relays to prevent and remedy abnormal behavior or failure of transmission and distribution lines and equipment. Analyzes test results and interprets electrical diagrams to locate defective equipment.
High school diploma or equivalent
• Associate’s degree in Science preferred
• 5 years’ experience as Relay Technician with Associate’s degree
• 8 years of experience in lieu of degree
• Valid Texas Driver License
• Class A CDL – Must be obtained within 180 days of employment
• MS Office Programs & MS Dynamics
- Lifts and carries up to 80 pounds and pulls, pushes or drags up to 80 pounds with or without assistance.
- Sits, stands, stoops or twists for extended periods of time.
- Works both indoors and outdoors in extreme temperatures including heat, cold, humidity, temperature swings and inclement weather, frequent exposure to dust, odor, electrical, mechanical, loud noise and toxic hazards.
- Operates hand tools, heavy equipment, light trucks and power tools. 20/20 corrected vision is required to perform visual inspection of small defects, small parts and operation of measurement devices and assembly of fabricated parts.
- Ability to travel to and from meetings or other business-related events.
- May be required to work after hours, weekends and holidays and respond timely to urgent or emergency situations.
- Ability to respond to call out requirements within 30 minutes.
- Proficiently uses hand, power tools, meters and other test equipment in energized substations to install, maintain, repair and program protective relays and associated wiring and equipment.
- Applies, reads, understands, reviews and corrects schematic, wiring diagram blueprints and substation drawings and inspections.
- Programs and operates various test equipment and exercises all safe work practices as outlined in the company safety book.
- Commissions substation installations.
- Coordinates testing, troubleshooting and repairs of relaying and other equipment with other department personnel.
- Performs maintenance on and testing of relays and associated equipment, batteries, chargers, air conditioner/heater units, standby generators and display meters.
- Troubleshoots, repairs and replaces components involved in questionable operations and failures.
- Updates relay programming as needed by transmission and substation improvements.
- Participates in emergency callout rotation.
- Performs other duties, tasks and special projects as assigned.
The above description covers the principal duties and responsibilities of the job. The description shall not, however, be construed as a complete listing of all miscellaneous, incidental, or similar duties which may be required from day-to-day.
If you have any questions about the process, please contact STEC HR at (361) 485-6167.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/D/V