The Engineering Assistant provides support to engineers and administers inspection and construction of projects. This role coordinates between member cooperatives, construction contractors, and System Operations as needed. Operates
computer-assisted engineering or design software or equipment to perform engineering tasks.
Qualified candidates will have:
• Bachelor of Science degree in Business or related field required
• 3 - 5 years’ experience in related energy field preferred
• Valid Texas Driver License with acceptable MVR
• Experience interpreting physical and electrical design drawings
• Working knowledge of AutoCAD, MS Office Programs, and MS Dynamics
• General office and sedentary.
• May frequently be required to walk; sit; stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and
talk or hear.
• Use of personal computing equipment, telephone, multi-functioning printer, photocopiers, filing cabinets, fax
machines, and calculator.
• Manual dexterity, ability to lift up to 25 pounds, ability to reach, bend, and use 2-step stool while safely lifting and
• May be exposed to extreme weather conditions.
• Ability to travel to and from business-related locations.
• May be required to work after hours, weekends and holidays and respond timely to urgent or emergency situations.
Typical duties include:
• Inspects substation and transmission project construction.
• Coordinates between construction contractors, System Operations and other department personnel in the
installation and commissioning of transmission line and substation equipment.
• Coordinates efforts necessary with Member cooperative personnel to connect distribution feeders to substations
and status changes of recloser control settings.
• Informs engineers and Manager of Engineering of status and issues of substation and transmission projects.
• Coordinates owner-furnished material procurement and shipping to sites.
• Participates in substation and transmission project meetings and negotiates contract changes with contractors.
• Generates plans and schematics utilizing AutoCAD under the direction of engineers.
• Produces as-built drawings for final record keeping for substation and transmission line projects.
• Reviews completion percentages and billings of construction contractors.
• Compiles data and writes monthly reports regarding construction projects.
• Notifies landowners of construction project schedules.
• Performs, documents and reports on distribution line inspections.
• Ensures that all contract scopes are completed in compliance with Cooperative policies and practices and
applicable laws including the National Electric Safety Code.
• Supports engineers in design of substation and transmission lines.
The above description covers the principal duties and responsibilities of the job. The description shall not, however, be construed as a complete listing of all miscellaneous, incidental, or similar duties which may be required from day-to-day.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/D/V