STEC's mission is to provide the infrastructure and services to deliver reliable and economical electric power to a diversified membership.
South Texas Electric Cooperative is a cutting-edge Generation and Transmission Cooperative and a leader in providing a diverse portfolio of affordable energy, a reliable power delivery system, and services customized to the needs of the members.
STEC was formed in 1944 to provide wholesale electric services to member distribution cooperatives. STEC’s membership consists of the following distribution cooperatives.
Primary generation sources, totaling 1,865.3 MW of capacity, are:
- Sam Rayburn Power Plant (NG Combined Cycle, NG Simple Cycle Combustion Turbines, Diesel Reciprocating Engines) - Nursery, TX
- Pearsall Power Plant (NG Reciprocating Engines, NG Steam) - Pearsall, TX
- Red Gate Power Plant (NG Reciprocating Engines) - Edinburg, TX
Long-term Purchase Power Agreements
- San Miguel Power Plant/ San Miguel Electric Cooperative, Inc. (Lignite) - Christine, TX
- Magic Valley Generating Station/ Calpine (NG Combined Cycle) - Edinburg, TX
- Amistad Dam Power Plant/ WAPA/IBWC (Hydroelectric) - Del Rio, TX
- Falcon Dam Power Plant/ WAPA/IBWC (Hydroelectric) - Falcon, TX
- Peñascal Wind Power Project/ AVANGRID (Wind) - Sarita, TX
- Javelina II Wind Power Project/ NextEra Energy Resources (Wind) - Webb County, TX
|First headquarters office at Foster Field (Victoria Regional Airport)||Official Commissioning of G1 and G2 in 1964||Combined cycle units at Sam Rayburn||Sam Rayburn|