South Texas Electric Cooperative, Inc. currently has a position open for a Relay Technician at its Nursery, Texas location. The Relay Technician programs, installs, and maintains protective relaying, remote terminal units, batteries, battery charges, stand by generators, air conditioners and other substation equipment. The Relay Technician performs electrical tests and repairs concerned with maintenance and performance evaluation of in-service relays to prevent and remedy abnormal behavior or failure of transmission and distribution lines and equipment. Analyzes test results and interprets electrical diagrams to locate defective equipment. This position reports to the Relay Technician Foreman.
Qualified candidates will have:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Associate’s degree in related field preferred
- At least 7 years’ experience as a Relay Technician with degree
- Valid Texas Driver’s License and acceptable MVR
- MS Office Programs
Typical duties include:
- Proficiently uses hand, power tools, meters, and other test equipment in energized substations to install, maintain, repair and program protective relays and associated wiring and equipment.
- Applies, reads, understands, reviews, and corrects schematic, wiring diagram blueprints and substation drawings and inspections.
- Programs and operates various test equipment and exercises all safe work practices as outlined in the company safety book.
- Commissions transmission and substation relay schemes and equipment installations.
- Coordinates testing, troubleshooting and repairs of relaying and other equipment with other department personnel.
- Performs maintenance on and testing of relays and associated equipment, batteries, chargers, air conditioner/heater units, standby generators, remote terminal units and display meters and other control equipment.
- Troubleshoots, repairs, and replaces components involved in questionable operations and failures.
- Updates relay programming as needed by transmission and substation improvements.
- Performs substation inspections, transmission line patrols, mobile substation installation, relay testing and communication.
- Inspects and maintains radio tower sites.
- Assists Substation Technicians with substation insulator washing.
- Participates in emergency callout rotation.
- Performs other duties, tasks and special projects as assigned.
- Lifts and carries up to 50 pounds and pulls, pushes, or drags up to 50 pounds with or without assistance.
- Sits, stands, stoops or twists for extended periods of time.
- Works both indoors and outdoors in extreme temperatures including heat, cold, humidity, temperature swings and inclement weather, frequent exposure to dust, odor, electrical, mechanical, loud noise, and toxic hazards.
- Operates hand tools, heavy equipment, light trucks, and power tools.
- 20/20 corrected vision is required to perform visual inspection of small defects, small parts and operation of measurement devices and assembly of fabricated parts.
- Ability to travel to and from meetings or other business-related events.
- May be required to work after hours, weekends and holidays and respond timely to urgent or emergency situations.
The above description covers the principal duties and responsibilities of the job. The description shall not, however, be construed as a complete listing of all miscellaneous, incidental, or similar duties which may be required from day-to-day.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/D/V