The Lineman Apprentice or Journey Lineman will construct, repair, inspect and maintain transmission line and substation facility both energized and de-energized. Involved in the installation, maintenance and repair of underground and overhead electric distribution, service lines, transformers, meters, metering equipment and related equipment. Must meet required quality and construction standards. Maintains a daily work log and assists in training apprentices and new hires.
Qualified candidates will have:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Lineman Apprenticeship Program diploma
- Experience of 4-year Apprenticeship Program or acceptable experience
- Valid Texas Driver’s License
- Class A CDL – Must obtain within 180 days
- Lifts and carries up to 80 pounds and pulls, pushes or drags up to 80 pounds with or without assistance.
- Sits, stands, stoops or twists for extended periods of time.
- Works both indoors and outdoors in extreme temperatures including heat, cold, humidity, temperature swings and inclement weather, frequent exposure to dust, odor, electrical, hydraulic, mechanical, loud noise, exhaust, petroleum products and other toxic hazards.
- Operates or drives hand tools, heavy equipment, light trucks, power tools and other equipment.
- May climb poles and other structures or use a bucket truck to work in an elevated position near or within the MAD of energized conductors at heights up to 220 feet. 20/20 corrected vision is required to perform visual inspection of small defects, small parts and operation of measurement devices and assembly of fabricated parts.
- Ability to travel to and from business-related locations.
- May be required to work on call, after hours, weekends and holidays, respond timely to urgent or emergency situations and stay overnight on business trips when required.
Typical duties include:
- Safely and efficiently operates and utilizes tools and machinery in the installation and removal of transmission line materials and substation equipment.
- Performs work in an elevated position on wood, concrete, steel, and lattice tower structures.
- Installs, repairs, and replaces switches including single and gang-operated, transformers, steel structures, hardware, regulators, breakers, instrument transformers and other substation equipment.
- Performs switching, energized maintenance, repair and installation utilizing appropriate hot stick, glove, and bare-hand techniques for 2.4 kV through 345 kV rated facilities.
- Transports permitted loads needed for transmission line and substation maintenance, repairs, and construction.
- Ensures that coworkers and apprentice lineman are properly knowledgeable in all aspects of assigned work.
- Participates in tailgate, company and departmental safety meetings including impromptu site meetings with fellow crewmen.
- Assists with the training of apprentices and new hires.
- Performs mandatory Department of Transportation inspections and switching at the direction of System Operations.
- Participates in call-out routine.
- Performs other duties, tasks and special projects as assigned.
The above description covers the principal duties and responsibilities of the job. The description shall not, however, be construed as a complete listing of all miscellaneous, incidental, or similar duties which may be required from day-to-day.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/D/V